All who made an attempt to learn Thai language know that it does not use a single form of the verb "to be" and that it does not use it in all the situations that English does. Moreover, while Thai can use specific marker words for indicating tenses, sometimes they indicate time simply by using adverbs of time. In English we are obviously not so lucky and need to use the correct form of auxiliary and/or main verb.
However, the aim of this chant is not to teach the difference between simple and continuous tense forms or the difference in meaning between "will" and "going to" used for future. These are first-graders after all, so my aim is to introduce them to the structure of simple English sentences while also reviewing the days of the week. I also use gestures to signal present, past and future in order to establish a clearer separation between the three tenses.
Here's the chant:
Teacher: What day is it today?
Students: Today is Monday.
Teacher: What day was yesterday?
Students: Yesterday was Sunday.
Teacher: What day will be tomorrow?
Students: Tomorrow will be Tuesday.
Teacher: What day is it today?
Students: Today is Monday.
bam ba la bam ba la bam ba la bam bam
bam ba la bam ba la bam ba la bam bam
bam bam bam bam baaaaaam
(faster) One, two, three
Teacher: What day is it today?
Students: Today is Monday.
Teacher: What day was yesterday?
Students: Yesterday was Sunday.
Teacher: What day will be tomorrow?
Students: Tomorrow will be Tuesday.
Teacher: What day is it today?
Students: Today is Monday.
And here's the video of me and the children in action.
I try to use this chant at least once every day and every lesson for the first month or so until the students remember it. And also worth noting is that students often like to join in for the teacher's part as you heard in the video, and I see absolutely nothing wrong with that. What do you think? Do you use anything similar? Let me know in the comments.
I like this review very much.There are knowledge. I can learn more and take them use in my class.
ReplyDeleteThere are is good topic and benefit topic.
Thank you. I try to use catchy and funny ways to teach, because I think that you learn better when you laugh :)
DeleteVery great idea that you teaching “verb to be” by composing them with rhythm as a song. That’s make students fun and No more bored
ReplyDeleteYes, children love singing and they love playing and if you can teach them through playing they will remember it better :)
DeleteYour blog is very useful for me and I think many student too.
ReplyDeleteThat is good example teach to children get knowledge and entertainment make children learn quickly.
ReplyDeleteI think so too. If you teach in a boring way then the children will not be as interested and will not learn as much.
DeleteThe way you teach is really good to students.
ReplyDeleteThank you.
DeleteVery good idea.it's a new thing that I can learn. I will use this to teach my young sister.
ReplyDeleteI like to come up with new things, because I'm a person who gets bored quickly. And I think that children like it too, especially when they can smack the teacher. Let me know if your sister likes it :)
DeleteI'm very interested in your blog because it very uesful for people who want to be a teacher
ReplyDeleteIt’s such a great Great Chant.And I hope that this chant would help the students a lot to more easily memorize in their English Class.
ReplyDeleteIt takes them about 3-4 weeks to memorize it. My hope is that they also learn the words for tomorrow and yesterday and, as you could hear, most of them were able to sing it. That means I'm happy :)
DeleteIt's a good teaching for kids because lt's useful and fun with the lesson.That's make me enjoy too.
ReplyDeleteThank you.
DeleteGood idea I am interesting your technique for teaching. It's easy to understand for children.very good I idea for theach.
ReplyDeleteThank you.
DeleteYour experiences are very interesting for me and I hope you will do better and better.You are good teacher.
ReplyDeleteThank you very much.
DeleteWow, you are a great teacher. I think your energy and intelligence are being put to good use. You are going to be remembered by the children you teach for ever. The positive effect you have on them will change many of their lives a great deal. I am looking forward to the next post. Thank you for being such a good person in this world.
ReplyDeletehttps://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/227/689/ef8.jpg
Delete